Fill a day with kindness
We all perform acts of kindness at one time or another. These acts may be large or small, and their beneficiaries may not even be aware of them. Yet their effects can be profound—not only on the recipient but on the giver as well.
One day this week, perform five acts of kindness—all five in one day. (According to research, acts of kindness have a bigger impact on your happiness when you perform them all at once, rather than sporadically.) In times of social distancing, challenge yourself to think of different ways you can do this safely. For instance, you could:
- Make a donation online to a charity delivering medicines or food to vulnerable people.
- Buy some goods or a voucher online from a local business you know will be struggling right now.
- If you’re working from home, offer some expertise for free online or over the phone. (If you’re used to working from home, you could pass on some tips for people who are doing this for the first time.)
- Phone or message someone who lives on their own to find out how they’re getting on.
- If you share your home with someone, treat them to breakfast in bed, cook a favourite meal for them or simply take them a hot drink if they’re working at their computer!